Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Quick and Easy Removable Pillow Covers

Decorative pillows are so easy to make. If you ever want a quick, satisfying project, go make some new pillows or recover some old ones.

I always make my pillow covers removable. It's how my Granny taught me how to do it years ago and since I'm the queen of spilling things, it's nice to be able to just throw the cover in the washing machine.


I made these pillows as part of my sister-in-law's living room makeover. Isn't this fabric she found amazing?

Here's my quick tutorial on how to make your own removable pillow covers:

First, cut out your pieces. Your front piece should measure 1/2" more than your pillow measurement to allow for a 1/4" seam allowance. My pillows were 14" square, so I cut my front piece 14.5" x 14.5". For the back, you'll need 2 pieces. Mine were 14.5" x 10.5".


Next up, you need to hem each of the back pieces where they will overlap. I ran across this blog post right before making these and I definitely think it makes hemming go a little faster. I didn't bother to make a template like she did, but even just marking my hem lines with a ruler made it easier.

I started by marking a 1/2" from the edge, folding it over on my line, then ironing it down.



Next, mark and fold your fabric over 1.5". Pin and sew.




Repeat with the other back piece and you're ready to put it all together.

Lay your front piece down, right side up. Lay one back piece on top, right side down, with the hemmed side toward the middle of the front piece.


Take the other back piece and lay it, right side down, with the hemmed side toward the middle. It should overlap the first back piece. Pin and sew all the way around.


I forgot to take a picture of this last part, but next you need to clip your corners (read this great blog post) and zig-zag stitch around each of the 4 sides to help cut down on fraying.

Now for my favorite part! Turn that baby inside out (I use a crochet hook or pencil to help get the corners looking good) and stuff a pillow inside. Sit back and admire your new pillows!



Linking up with:


5 comments:

  1. I love my new pillows! You are so talented Kayla!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you! I was just thinking about looking up a tutorial on pillows like these. That fabric is really cute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric. Cute pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I really need to make removable covers! Indeed, the fabric you used is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made 4 pillows using your instructions. They were so much fun and your directions were so easy to understand

    ReplyDelete