Monday, August 16, 2010

Yummy Bran Muffins

I tried a new muffin recipe last week. I made a few substitutions to make them healthier and they were SO good. I forgot to take a picture before we ate them all, but here's my version (original version here).

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups bran flakes (I couldn't find wheat bran)
1 cup yogurt
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar (loosely packed)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole wheat or white wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raisins*
1/4 cup dried cranberries*
1/4 cup chopped walnuts*


Directions 
Mix together bran flakes and yogurt, slightly breaking up bran flakes as you stir; let stand for 10 minutes.

Beat together applesauce, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to yogurt/bran mixture. Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into yogurt mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins, dried cranberries, and walnuts and spoon batter into greased muffin tins.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. 

* I didn't really measure here, so these measurements are a guess. You could substitute anything you want here. I made a batch with chocolate chips and they were pretty good. I also think these would be yummy made with blueberries or cherries.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment