Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What I've Been Working On

Here are a few of my projects from last week.

The first is a Batgirl bib, since K is already outgrowing the Batman onesie I made. I bought a snap fastener tool (yay!) and used a snap instead of velcro. I have really grown to hate velcro bibs, as they always come undone in the washing machine and stick to my other laundry.



Second, my Granny gave me a ton of fabric that she didn't want/need anymore. Some of it was some awful 80s/early 90s stuff that I'm not sure I'll ever use, but there were some cute prints as well. And then there was this:


This is a very silky fabric. Perfect for a baby evening gown, according to my dad. But I thought it'd be perfect for a fun fish applique shirt.





Third, a reusable swiffer duster cloth, thanks to an awesome tutorial over at Sew Much Ado. I made one with flannel, like she suggests, and one out of an old t-shirt, just to see if it would work. The knit one didn't really pick up anything, so flannel is definitely the way to go. Just be sure that when you're tracing the duster (making your sewing lines), that you trace really close to it. I traced mine too far away and the duster cloth slips off the handle occasionally.


I skipped dusting a couple of weeks so I could really put this baby to the test (all in the name of research, of course) and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I don't think it works quite as well as the disposable ones, but it gets the job done and is a great money saver.



And lastly, K's first art project. Mother's Day cards. I bought blank cards at JoAnns and put her sweet little hand prints on the front using a stamp ink pad. I just love how they turned out!



I'm finishing up some baby and birthday gifts this week and I'll share pictures when I'm done. My sister's 16th birthday is this weekend and she has asked me to make a Ghostbusters cake. I've decorated several cakes in the past few years, but this will be my first attempt at using fondant. I'm a little nervous, but very excited for the challenge.

Oh, and I just had a fabulous idea for my husband's birthday cake later this month. I'd tell you, but he reads my blog. Or at least, he says he does. The funny thing is, every year I spend hours working on an awesome cake for his birthday and he never eats it. He doesn't really like cake. But he always asks for one and they're fun to make, so I do it anyway. Love makes you do crazy things.

No comments:

Post a Comment