Monday, April 12, 2010

Upcycled Knit Skirt

Remember this skirt I made for my niece's 2nd birthday? Well, I finally got around to making one for K.


My mom bought K a Spiderman onesie since my husband loves superheroes and comic books and such. And K really does get excited every time she sees this shirt, oddly enough. She's definitely her Daddy's girl :)


Anyway, she obviously needed a matching skirt to dress up that boyish shirt. Obviously. So, since I'm totally in love with upcycling, I made her one using one of my husband's old t-shirts.

The shirt was an XL and measured approximately 25 inches across. I cut a 4" x 24" piece for the top tier and two 6.5" x 24" pieces for the bottom tier. This work perfectly to make a 6-9 months sized skirt that measured 8 inches in length when finished. To save time, I cut the bottom tier pieces along the hem of the shirt so that I wouldn't have to hem it.

 

The t-shirt material was so easy to work with and made a great fitting, comfy skirt...and it was free!

3 comments:

  1. I love making these kind of skirts. Very cute way to dress up the onesie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with the contrast of the comic book shirt and the girl skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! Thanks for linking up. Sorry it's taken me so long get to making the linky post. I love working with T-shirt material! It makes the hems so much easier!

    ReplyDelete