Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tips for Making Rice Cereal

I finally figured out how to make smooth, pureed rice cereal! The first time I made it, it was clumpy and really gross, but I was determined to try one more time. Here's what worked for me:

1. Ground rice in blender in 1/2 to 1 cup increments. It takes a couple of minutes, but make sure it turns into a fine powder.
2. Break out your rice maker and cook your rice powder according to the rice maker's instructions.
3. Place cooked rice (mine was a huge solid chunk and looked like really lumpy mashed potatoes) back into your blender. Add water or breastmilk/formula and blend until smooth. I left mine pretty thick and plan to just thin it out with a little milk or fruit when she's ready to eat it.

Anyone have any other helpful tips for making baby food?

3 comments:

  1. I wish I knew this when I had babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does this last in the fridge? Or did you freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually freeze it in baby food/ice cube trays, but I have kept it in the fridge for a couple of days and it was fine.

    ReplyDelete