Monday, April 5, 2010

Fabric Easter Egg Tutorial


I'm not sure if anyone else was aware of this, but they don't sell baby-friendly Easter eggs. All of the Easter eggs I found said 3+, which seems a little ridiculous, but whatever. So, in a last minute effort to fill my daughter's Easter basket (and after seeing this cute idea for an Easter shirt), I came up with fabric Easter eggs. Basically just 2D Easter egg-shaped softies that K* could safely chew on.

This is a great project for using up your fabric, ribbon, rick-rack, and other sewing scraps. Easy, quick, cheap, and fun!

Start by copying this Easter egg coloring page, pasting it into a Word document, and scaling it down to the size you want. Then, using your egg pattern, cut two out of your fabric. If you want to add decoration (ribbon, rick-rack, etc), pin it to the right side of your fabric and sew it on.


Pin the 2 pieces together, right sides facing and sew together, leaving about a 1 inch opening.


Trim down your seam allowance (see picture below) or clip your corners/rounded edges (no picture of this, sorry!). I did this both ways and found that clipping edges every 1/2 inch or so made the eggs look better.


Turn right side out and stuff. I used the end of my seam ripper to help stuff the egg.


To close the hole, I loosely followed this tutorial. By my last egg, I finally got the hang of it and the closure was pretty much unnoticeable!


They're perfect for little hands...and mouths!



* In previous posts, I've been referring to my daughter as Monkey, which was inspired by her deep love for monkeys. Seriously, the child gets crazy excited when she sees one. But it's getting a little confusing since we don't actually ever call her that, so I'm going to just start calling her "K" and avoid naming any future children with a name that starts with a K.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!! Super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that? I wish I would have seen this before Easter! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo cute! I want to make some too! Susan

    ReplyDelete