Friday, March 5, 2010

Upcycled Valentine's Day Dress

Last spring, I found these adorable red Valentine's Day tights on clearance at Old Navy for less than a dollar. I had just found out we were having a girl, so of course I had to buy them! Fast forward to Valentine's Day this year and my daughter had tights and a hat, but no dress. I hated to spend money on something she would wear only once, so I decided to give upcycling a try. There are several blogs out there with wonderful tutorials and ideas about using old clothes to make new ones, so this was certainly not an original idea.



I used one of her dresses as a pattern and one of my old shirts as material. I saved a lot of time by using the shirt's hemlines as the bottom of the dress and sleeves. I cut a heart out of red fleece I had on hand and stitched it onto the front of the dress. It's certainly not perfect...I had a lot of trouble with the sleeves and the neckline was a little off, but overall I was very pleased with how it turned out. And it doesn't hurt that she looks adorable wearing it!

3 comments:

  1. I love upcyling! Your little girl is beautiful and the dress turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is adorable. Such a cute dress! You are very creative. Me? Not so much! LOL!

    ReplyDelete