Friday, March 12, 2010

Starting Solids

We have decided that Monkey is ready for solid foods! The past couple of weeks she's been waking up during the night to nurse (something she stopped doing around 6 weeks old) and she's been showing a lot of interest in our food. Sometime in the past few days she's also lost the tongue-thrust reflex, so I'm pretty sure she's ready now.

I'm a little scared and excited all at once! We're going to install our diaper sprayer this weekend and give Monkey her first taste of food Saturday night.

I'm going to cook all of her food. It will save us a lot of money and I like knowing exactly what's going into my kid's body. I've been doing a lot of research to get ready for this, mostly from these sources:
Top 100 Baby Purees by Annabel Karmel
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm
http://www.feedinglittlefoodies.com/

There's a lot to consider, like making sure they get enough iron (their iron stores are pretty much run out by 6 months), avoiding high allergy risk foods, avoiding salt (a baby's kidneys are too immature to handle it), and pairing foods containing fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) with a little fat to get the maximum vitamin absorption. There are different ideas on the best way to present food to your baby (pureed vs small chunks), how long to wait between introducing a new food (anywhere from 3 to 7 days), and what food to introduce first. It can be a little overwhelming!

I've decided to just do what feels right. All babies are different and I want this to be a pleasant experience for us. So we're starting with avocado and following her cues from there. I can't wait to see what she thinks of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment