I used instructions for drafting my pattern found here. And roughly went by the diaper sewing instructions here. Since I was making a swim diaper I only used 2 layers of fabric and didn't use a soaker/insert.
I used an old poncho for my outer, waterproof fabric and fleece for my inner fabric. Next time I will use mesh on the inside, but I didn't want to waste it on a practice run. The poncho material worked surprisingly well, although I'm not sure that it would be sturdy enough to use with snaps. I also used 1/4 inch elastic and 3/4 inch velcro.
Blue outer layer, red inner layer
Taken right before turning right side out: 1/4 in elastic sew into the seam allowance
Taken after turning: top-stitching around the edges
Despite the cosmetic flaws, it fit her pretty well.
Check out that belly!
Things I want to do differently on the next one:
- Use mesh as my inner fabric so it will dry quicker. I would also like to try other, more lightweight materials (I'm curious how an old t-shirt would work).
- Make my tabs square and put velcro all the way to the end of the tab.
- Make my top-stitching closer to the edge on places where there is no elastic.
- Use a bigger seam allowance (I used 1/4 in) so that my open edges (from turning) will get caught in the top-stitching and will look nicer.