Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My First Swim Diaper!

I've been wanting to try my hand at diaper sewing for awhile now. I'm not sure what took me so long...it only took about an hour and a half, including drawing my pattern and sewing it! It's far from perfect, as I knew it would be. But I made it entirely from materials I had on hand so I wouldn't feel bad when it didn't turn out pretty.

I used instructions for drafting my pattern found here. And roughly went by the diaper sewing instructions here. Since I was making a swim diaper I only used 2 layers of fabric and didn't use a soaker/insert.

I used an old poncho for my outer, waterproof fabric and fleece for my inner fabric. Next time I will use mesh on the inside, but I didn't want to waste it on a practice run. The poncho material worked surprisingly well, although I'm not sure that it would be sturdy enough to use with snaps. I also used 1/4 inch elastic and 3/4 inch velcro.

Blue outer layer, red inner layer

Taken right before turning right side out: 1/4 in elastic sew into the seam allowance

Taken after turning: top-stitching around the edges

Despite the cosmetic flaws, it fit her pretty well.


Check out that belly!


Things I want to do differently on the next one:
  • Use mesh as my inner fabric so it will dry quicker. I would also like to try other, more lightweight materials (I'm curious how an old t-shirt would work).
  • Make my tabs square and put velcro all the way to the end of the tab.
  • Make my top-stitching closer to the edge on places where there is no elastic.
  • Use a bigger seam allowance (I used 1/4 in) so that my open edges (from turning) will get caught in the top-stitching and will look nicer.
I hoping to have time to try a second one tonight. I'm excited to see how making these changes will play out. I think I found my new addiction...

3 comments:

  1. Wow you did a great job! I need to get me a sewing machine, I just can't afford it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- I love this! Good ideas on the inner fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete