Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Handmade Birthday Present

My niece turned 2 last week. For her birthday, I made her a girly twirly skirt and a matching kitty applique shirt and purse.


She LOVES cats (aka "meow meows"), so when I saw the kitty shirt tutorial on Deanna's blog awhile back, I knew I had to make one for her. If I had it to do over again, I would have made the mouth a little bigger and with a darker embroidery thread, so that it would show up better from a distance. Here's a close up:


I followed Deanna's skirt pattern exactly, using the measurements she had listed for her 2 year old daughter. It turned out to be a little too big right now, but it should fit her really well this summer. I also used Deanna's rick rack hem tutorial for the bottom of the skirt.

For the purse, I loosely followed this tutorial. Some changes I made:
  • I didn't use interfacing, since I didn't have any. It turned out fine without it.
  • I didn't use ribbon for decoration or the strap. 
  • For the strap, I cut 20 in x 3 in strip of fabric. I folded it lengthwise with the right sides facing and sewed along the long edge. Then I used a safety pin to turn it right side out and ironed it flat.

By the way, are you wondering what a 2 year old puts in her purse? Sippy cups and pacis :)

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable!! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete