Monday, March 29, 2010

Feeding Troubles

Monkey is really not digging solid foods at all. We've tried avocado, rice cereal, carrots, and apples and she hasn't liked any of them. She seems interested in food, but she doesn't want it in her mouth (which is weird to me, seeing as how she puts EVERYTHING in her mouth these days).

I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I assume she's just not ready and give up for a week or two? Do I try feeding her more frequently during the day? Do I just keep trying new foods and hope that we eventually find one she likes?

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. How many months is she? She might not be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's 6 months old. I guess maybe all babies aren't ready when they're "supposed" to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son spits everything out that gets put in his mouth too. I've read its a reflex they're born with to keep from choking on things. They either loose it or learn to swallow properly I can't remember which.

    My dr. suggested thinning rice cereal with breast milk, formula or water and feeding it in a bottle with an enlarged hole and gradually thickening it up until he's used to the consistancy - or spoon ready. who knows. i just got the ok to feed him solids (he's 4 mos)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't worry too much! My advice is to keep trying...different times, different foods. She'll get the hang of it! It's so hard because you have a set timeline in your head of where she should be at and she has her own. It's okay, my son didn't talk until 18 months and I was freaking out...now he doesn't stop talking and he'll be 2 1/2 in a few weeks! Following you from Among The Mess's blog...congrats on your Katydid Diaper win! Can't wait to see pics of your little Monkey in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend whose baby did the same thing. He didn't start really eating solids until he was about 8 months.

    I would just give it up and try again in a couple weeks. No biggie! BTW, she's adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete