Wednesday, March 17, 2010

First Attempt at Solids

We gave Monkey her first taste of solid food this weekend - avocado. The pictures speak for themselves.

The "before" picture

"Eww, Daddy!"

Second try.

Look at that face!

By the second day, she wouldn't even put a clean spoon near her mouth. Instead of torturing her, we decided to quit avocado for now and revisit it some other time.

Last night I gave her rice cereal. It was really easy to make. Simply put about a cup of rice at a time in your blender (note: I first tried to put the entire bag into my food processor and it didn't work) and blend until you have a fine powder. I went ahead and did the whole bag and stored it in a container for later use.

To cook it, boil 1 cup of water in a small pot. Mix in 1/4 cup rice powder with a whisk. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Once it was done cooking, I thinned it with breast milk. I used about 2.5 oz, but it was really runny. You can store it in the refrigerator for 72 hours so that you don't have to cook it every day. The original recipe/information is here.

Monkey wasn't crazy about the rice cereal either, but she did tolerate it better than avocado.



I'm not sure what's going through her mind in this picture...

Next week we'll start getting into the fun stuff like peas and carrots. I hope those go over better!

No comments:

Post a Comment